in a perfect world of yancies: Weekend Roundup: Cute Kids, Canvassers, Cross-Canal Character, and Colbert

02 November 2008

Weekend Roundup: Cute Kids, Canvassers, Cross-Canal Character, and Colbert

Too much for one post? You be the judge:

Iwanski kids sleeping cute. And notice that little bison there: from our visit to the National Bison Range!


Halloween costumes:




Hey, that cape looks familiar . . .




Spent part of Saturday at the local Obama headquarters, where they were "inundated" with volunteers.

Cool to see just how much inundating was going on. We saw this room empty and fill three times in the half-hour we spent getting trained/orientated . . .

(Oh yeah, in case you forgot, please vote!)



Waiting to hit the streets


Speaking of, if you noticed the other day my embed of Obama's informercial didn't include the live bit from Florida. Here's the whole thing, cued to that closing moment:





In the past, I've been accused of following too closely the advice of a certain newspaper. Now the tables have turned at last!

Photo: Michael Hanson for The New York Times

The Times is only a few months behind me in covering some of the fun to be had in Fremont and Ballard. They, like me, mentioned the Chittenden Locks and the fish ladder.


Photo: Michael Hanson for The New York Times


Even that Lenin statue:

Photo: Michael Hanson for The New York Times

Okay, yes, there photos are arguably better than mine. But I did the Lenin statue like a year ago! Scooped!

Great read, though. And I guess now I'll have to check out some of those other places they mentioned . . .



Just one brief Wilco note: nice interview on Colbert the other day. And catchy new song:



Bonus Sunglasses Update
So we hit the farmers market today (yay for winter squash season!).
Anyway, I thought that some of you might enjoy hearing that one of the women selling produce there now recognizes Emily and I, all because of those sunglasses.

"Hey, it's red sunglasses guy": that's more or less a direct quote. And, yeah, it more or less made my morning.


Have a great week!
Please vote!

4 comments:

  1. First read: how very cool—all of it!

    cmd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder! I almost forgot tomorrow was election day. Kidding! I am super excited!!!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited too!

    And nervous!
    But SO excited!!

    Here's an exciting bit from a story about turnout in the state of Washington:
    "ELECTION OFFICIALS EXPECT STATEWIDE VOTER TURNOUT WILL BE 83 PERCENT. THAT WOULD BE THE HIGHEST TURNOUT FOR A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION SINCE 1944."

    !!!


    Okay, I really need to get back to my grading . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nervous! Yes!!! I can only hope that somewhere out there are other offices voting 75% Obama, cuz I know my office is 75% for that white haired guy and that lady from Alaska. I'm a minority! Strange

    M

    (I really do enjoy the word verification as much as your blog!)

    ReplyDelete