in a perfect world of yancies: before we go

28 July 2005

before we go

so this weekend is my 10-year high school reunion at Helena High School, so Emily & I are headed back to Montana, which should be fun--it's been a couple years since we've been there . . . aside from the person putting the reunion together & my sister Marisa (who's putting us up while we're in town), I was afraid I'd only see some acquaintances there, but I found that someone--Anne-Marie--I was good friends with will be there, so that rocks! and I found out that downtown helena is a wifi zone, so I may bring the iBook & maybe even post some stuff here while we're there . . .

anyway, I've been trying to soak up a little Lawrence before we go (I know it's only a 4-day trip, but still . . .):
so, Tuesday (after spending most of the day working on Aristotle & my Greek (I was working! I swear), we met Aaron at the Jackpot Saloon . . . what a swinging bar--though, actually, that night the dj cancelled, so the bartender just played the 1st season of the bbc show The Office, which is terrific . . . and $1.50 beers!

& yesterday, in the beautiful 25 degree weather (I'm trying to go metric; who knows why--it was like 80), I walked to beautiful downtown lawrence, ogled the british edition of the harry potter books at Brits (though I was listening to either fugazi or william shatner (it's pretty good, so whatever--Ben Folds produced it) & so flubbed my interactions with the guy at the counter); then ran into local quasi-famous author Laura Moriarty; then spent like an hour at love garden, where I heard some cool new stuff by Prefuse 73 w/the Books and Architecture in Helsinki . . . but all I got was the new Sufjan Stevens, which Emily really wanted--it seems pretty good; pitchfork seemed to like it, for whatever that's worth

and then, resisting the temptation to shop anymore, I went to the library & picked up the original movie version of The Bad News Bears, starring Walter Matthau, which we enjoyed immensely (we watched it after a quick game of folf and a trip through the Bucky's drive-in . . . so tasty, so affordable . . .)

and who knows? I may even have to hit the farmers' market today, to try to get a few chili peppers before we leave . . .

okay, back to work!
(& thanks for your patience while I experiment with trying to make every other word in this a link . . .)
pictures from the reunion soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment